Having slept on and digested the news that I can no longer host The Kamera Club on Google’s free Blogger site due to the content I post I’ve decided the site will continue in some form, but I’m still looking at options.
The reason for doing this site in the first place was for several reasons, I love the subject of glamour photography from back in the 1950’s and 60’s and it still fascinates me today. I want to try and capture this content, the models, magazines and photographers before we lose it and this format is a good way of sharing it with others. I’ve had lots of great feedback and interaction from others that also enjoy the subject now or were part of it back then. I have made lots of good contacts, that not only provide lots of great information to the site, but original content as well! For all these reasons it seems a shame to stop now.
Now the hard bit! I make no money from the site and do it because I like doing it and want to share the content I have. A free site made this easy, as I had no overhead costs, other than my time and effort, but now if I want to continue to share the content I need to move the blog and the options I have are:
- Stop completely – Can’t do it, won’t do it and would be gutted if I had to stop!
- Use another free hosting site such as Tumblr – I have a matching Tumblr blog for The Kamera Club and it has over 6000 followers, but again it comes back to control. Layout and design is restricted and I again have no control over the content should Tumblr decide it’s unsuitable and delete the account or content!
- Pay for hosting for a WordPress site – I do this for my Just June site (thanks to a generous donation) and it works well. I have complete control and freedom to post and do as I wish, the interaction is good and I have great creative control, but at a cost!
Anyway those are my options and I’m moving towards a paid hosted site, but looking at the costing options now.
So a question, would you pay for the content and access to the site? I have always tried to avoid having you to sign up as members to my sites, be it free or paid as I have always believed the content should be free for all to access without restrictions or username and passwords to remember. But would you support the site and keep it free and open with a one off donation? No fixed fee, just a one off, whatever you can afford payment to help towards the hosting so it can continue? As you can see with the official Harrison Marks site, even with a one off payment for membership, but restricting content to paid up members the site has struggled and will be closing later this year, a model that I want to avoid.
So what are your thoughts?
I’ll continue to look at the options, but want to thank you all for your support and contributions thus far as it’s been fantastic and long may it continue!
Just to let you know things have changed slightly and hopefully for the better! 🙂 I’ve moved my site from Blogger to my own hosted site using WordPress.
Hopefully this will give me a lot more control over the site and more functionality, but you may see the odd broken link for a while as I work through them. I’ll continue to publish new June content as I work through the glitches, but please bear with me!
That’s it post wise today, as if that isn’t enough, but I thought I’d give a quick update on some things that I’ve been doing.
- General update of the site fixing some broken links etc.
- Vintage Magazines – Updated and linked to some of the new magazine scans
- Kamera Specials – Images updated to better resolution and size and update the links, so they link to all the published pages so far.
- Models Page – Updated and checked all links work
- Unknown Models – Added those that have been identified and a few new ones that are still unknown
Only a small update 🙂
P.S. Keep the great comments, feedback and scans you send coming, it’s really appreciated.
Only a small update this month, but I thought I’d add what’s changed and also a question, but first what’s new!
- Pamela Green page update – I’ve added direct links to the magazine list, so you are taken to the images and articles relating to that magazine. I’ve also split out the images of Pamela Green into distinct areas for her alter egos Rita Landre and Princess Sonmar H’arricks, so they are easier to find.
- June Palmer page update – Same again really, links from the magazine list directly to the associated pages and images from that magazine. June images split into distinct areas for use of use. So now, you can easily find original images of June, Images of an older June and many more.
- I’ve removed the ability the right click on images and save them! Sorry, but some unscrupulous people were taking my original images and using them without permission or linking back. I know this won’t stop them completely, but at least it might deter them!
- I had a request to set up a mailing list so you could get a daily e-mail with updates and I thought this was a great idea. You’ll find it at the bottom of the right hand bar, so feel free to sign up!
Finally, anything else you’d like to see with regards to the design of the site and content? I’m always open to new content, but please bear in mind the original scope of the site. Anyway any suggestions or ideas please drop me a note via the contact page.
As always thank you for your continued support of the site with all the great comments and content that you provide 🙂
A big update over on the models page today as I’ve added a load more models and links to their images and information. I think the list has almost tripled in size from the original page and thanks to Phil D for sending through his updated list, which is now consolidated into mine!
The new improved page can be found here, or follow the normal link on the sidebar!